How to Meet Foreigners in Istanbul 101


Where ever I go, interacting with locals has normally been my preference all along. It's the best way to get the most authentic experiences, I believe. But sometimes it's nice to meet someone you can relate with in another level. Someone who shares similar experiences as you do, another foreigner among the others
To laugh and gossip about the "typical foreigner cases", cultural differences and struggles. Tell stories which only another non-local could relate to.

Making friends as an adult can be a challenging task itself. We need to put more effort into it, be more creative with this topic. For example, I learned from a friend that she made friends while walking her dog. If you are a dog owner as well, you know what I'm talking about. However, if you are looking to meet people in another way than parading with your dog on the streets (which is great way nevertheless), here're my guide to meet fellow foreigners in Istanbul.


Firstly you might want to check out these platforms:

• InterNations - the largest social network for expats, where you find interest-based groups organizing events. You can find groups for volunteering, business networking, food & wine lovers, runners group and many more.
• MeetUp - A network of local self-organized groups, based on shared interests. You can find groups like English as a second language meetup, foodie club etc.
• Facebook groups - like Foreign Women of Istanbul

• Tinder - Even though I don't personally use it, if you're single and ready to mingle, give it a shot! ;)

Awesome webpages to get information about upcoming events, guides and news directed to expats in Istanbul:
• Yabangee


Now, you've perused all these websites, but how do you actually meet people?
Here are the ways I met foreigners in the past 2 months.


How I met foreigners in Istanbul 101


Scenario 1 

Migration Office
I was sitting in the migration office, as every foreign once does. Chairs are lined up to the walls and people from all kinds of ethnical backgrounds are holding pink paper folders and queue numbers. I'm there, trying to get my residence permit papers done as everyone else - a crumpled paper with a number on it in my hand, checking my phone and waiting impatiently my turn to enter from the white door to give my documents.
There was a girl sitting next to me. She turned to me asking if I knew when will the officers go on a lunch break. She is an Egyptian lady and during the waiting I learned quite a bit about her and her story. We were laughing and at the end of our conversation, she gave me her work card and told me whenever I come to Cairo, she could be my tour guide.

Okay guys, this one was a joke! Migration office is not a place to make friends. But it worked for me anyways ;)


Scenario 2 

Cozy Cafe with Great Music (In a central area, where foreigners are most likely to be found)
One morning I was sitting in one of my favorite cafes near the Galata tower, working on my laptop. I love the ambiance in that particular place with their small wooden tables and world map made of thread on the wall.
As I sat there, I couldn't help myself from moving myself along with the great music which was playing. When ordering my coffee, I heard the girl sitting on the next table talking English with the waiter. So I understood she is a foreigner too and I asked her in English to keep an eye on my laptop while I go to the restroom. Later, when she was about to leave she said to me: It's great music over here, right!? As I totally agreed, we shared contacts and decided to come back together to the same cafe.


Scenario 3

As I started to type words in the Facebook search engine like "foreigner" and "Istanbul", I came across with this amazing group called "Foreign Women of Istanbul". Once you apply, the admin sends you a message with few questions to confirm that you truly are a woman and a foreigner. 

Via this group I found out that there are plenty of other foreign girls living here, just like me, who are happy to meet new people ( just like me).
So one girl from the group took initiative and organized a boat trip for us. We took some food with us to meet and chat over the brunch table all together, as we sail on the boat along the Bosphorus river.

Two days later I was getting ready at 8 o'clock in the morning to meet the girls, banana-oat cookies in my bag which I baked on the previous night. I met girls from various backgrounds and exciting stories to tell. I felt I can relate to them easily because we shared a lot in common, we had these surprisingly funny stories to tell about living here as a foreigner. Simply a great experience!

Scenario 4 

Connecting with a friend of a friend. Living as a foreigner in a city away from your hometown can make us sometimes feel lonely. Here's where our old friends can help us out - they might now someone else living in the city as well. They can connect us with their already existing friends. 

This is how I met one high-energy and warm-hearted Indian girl last week.  She came to the city as an exchange student few months ago. My friend and her friend are colleagues, so they connected us as they knew we both are looking to meet new people in the city.
As we met, we walked around the city and had fun sending pictures together to our friends and feeling glad they brought us together.


Scenario 5

Sign up for a Turkish class. This is another brilliant way to meet other foreigners. I recently signed myself up for a Turkish course and met many lovely language learners, trying to put all of that learned grammar into proper use, as myself. It's funny to try talking the local language with other language learners. We make mistakes and it's okay. We have much in common I feel. 

Here are few language schools to check out, if you are interested to join one: 
KediCat
• Dilmer
ITI
• Tömer


Being a foreigner living in another country can be really challenging - especially when we talk about social life.
To all the souls eager to meet others, I hope this helped in some ways. 

Cheers!
Mariliis



0 comments