What am I up to Nowadays: Figuring out the Adulthood


Dear Fellow Humans,

For every one of us, life has something up its sleeves. Playing it's tricks on us like marionettes or offering unexpected opportunities we never could've imagined of having. Sooner or later we figure, that life isn't all that, what we once thought it would be. Us, young adults, realize quickly that the so-called 'real life' is more complicated, occasionally heartbreaking, but also exciting because of its possibilities. Once school is over, our old friends seem to drift further away from us, while the topic of money making and career path has more importance over our lives than ever before. 'Real-life' is adults playground and despite its many rules (like the obligation to pay your bills with your own money), more often it seems to have no rules at all (in the working world things are often much messier than they should).


How to deal with finances, love life, career path? And how to understand why we are on this planet in the first place..

Alright. Where are the jobs at?

This question arose quickly after receiving my diploma (yeeeey) and as I stepped few steps independently in the direction of unknown. I understand that it makes sense for a company to rather hire an experienced person (or a friend or the bosses brother in that matter). But really where we, newly graduates, are supposed to get a chance in the first place?



At first, my job hunt didn't seem to go anywhere. I got a call-in from a successful agency for an interview. But instead, I was asked out by that 'somebody' who was supposed to revise my CV. I said no to the 'let's have some drinks tonight' and I got no for getting that job. Oh well... 

After some ups and downs of figuring what to do next,  here's where I am in my life right now - 4 months post-graduation.


So what am I doing nowadays?
Things have changed quite a bit for me. I moved out of the country and the secureness of my quiet home town has changed to a noise of the big-city traffic. The 'mandatory' Sunday-morning Estonian TV shows have exchanged with Netflix documentaries and comedy shows in the late nights after work. And plastic school chairs have been changed to comfortable working chairs -thank God!

Here is my normal week in a nutshell.



4 days a week I'm a content editor in a travel company

I enjoy this kind of a job and appreciate the variety of my work week. 2 days I go to the office and 2 days I work remotely- from home or from a cafe nearby. Talking about benefits the best part, of course, is that in Turkey it's a common practice for the companies to give you a 'food card'. It means that aside from your monthly salary you'll have a special card with daily food money on it. It's up to you, will you spend it in a restaurant, supermarket or just get a cold coffee from Starbucks. I've gone either ways.




3 days a week I'm a teacher



They call me "teacher, teacher!" I teach English in an Arab International School here in Istanbul to the most wonderful little creatures. In a return, they teach me some Arabic. I hold classes to these little ones on the picture, as well to more advanced students. It's no secret that dealing with kids is a lot of fun and the days spent with them are filled with laughter and smiles. Of course, I make them stand up at the start of the day and say 'Good morning teacher!'

شوي شوي shway shway - Addition to my daily vocabulary. (Meaning slowly-slowly or gently-gently)




2 days a week I am a student


In the evenings I practice my Turkish skills in a local language school. 


2 days a week I am an Estonian language teacher

As me and my boyfriend don't have the same native languages, we decided that I'll organize Estonian language classes for him twice a week. Honestly, I must say that I have one hard working student over here. Basic conversations are becoming easy-breezy.



And those 2 weekend days I'm just roaming around the city, enjoying nice food and shopping cheap vegetables on the local bazaar





...

For the thing your soul desires, do it well. Do the best as you can. Open yourself up to the possibilities, take risks and be bold. This is only the beginning. 

We will get better at this thing called life.

Cheers,
Mariliis


0 comments