Ultimate Vegan Favourite: Coconut Curry Tofu

To be honest, I'm more of a lazy cook. And I'm always looking for ways to make a tasty meal with minimal effort. Recently I discovered tofu. Not that I didn't hear about it before, but I never really thought of buying it. As I kept hearing wonderful things about it, like it's high in protein and source of amino acids, iron, calcium, vitamin B1 and other micro-nutrients, I was eager to give it a go. It doesn't require long time cooking and lasts relatively long in a fridge or freezer. Therefore, why not?

I'm not a vegan. But I support their ways. Either you're meat eater or not, if you like curry, this meal is for you.



Coconut Curry Tofu


You will need:
  • 300 ml Coconut milk
  • 200 g Medium firm tofu
  • 1 Onion
  • 1 Carrot
  • 150 g Frozen peas
  • Cinnamon
  •  1.5 tbsp Curry powder
  • Sea salt
  • Black pepper
  • 1 lemon or lime
  • Crushed red pepper flakes on top (optional)

  • Rice (as much as you prefer aside of your curry)
How to make:

Cook the rice as usual. While the rice is cooking, drain the tofu and cut into cubes. Slice the carrot and cut the onion into half moons, then saute them in a medium heat pan with little olive oil. Add tofu to the pan as well, allowing it to brown. Season it with cinnamon, pepper and salt. Then squeeze in your lemon or lime, and mix it so all of the good stuff gets the flavour.
Now, add the frozen peas and then coconut milk. Let it simmer about 7 minutes so the peas get softened. Remove your pan from the heat and there you go! The delicious vegan curry is ready. 
Serve it with rice and for spicier taste add red pepper flakes on top. Your meal is ready!


This recipe inspired me to try it out again in many varieties. You can add chickpeas in it or switch the vegetables to another kind. Let your imagination go wild!
I hope you enjoy.

Love, 
Mariliis

0 comments