Feeling Invincible


The truth many people seem to miss is that happiness doesn't start with a relationship, a job or a college degree. It starts with your thoughts and what you tell yourself every day.


I had this fear of how others pursue me, which kept me back and eventually made my completely miserable. I didn’t like myself. When I first started to travel alone, I learned what I now see as the most important lesson of my life. As I grew, I found the best in myself again. 

Truth be told, genuine happiness cannot be given to us by something external. Genuine happiness comes from resolving our inner conflicts and personal struggles. It comes from a place where we are satisfied with who we are, where we’re going, and what we’re doing to get there. For me, traveling taught me on being content with myself first - the truth of my happiness.

I knew I wanted to explore new and that travel will make me happy, so I went. First time by myself. But what I discovered was something much more meaningful, I felt strong. I felt this rush of confidence I never did before. I felt bold. I felt free to express myself as I am, be silly, run through the rain at the city streets laughing and dance with no music on. The one who jumps in the river with clothes in Germany, bold enough to speak her mind, to let go the fears of disliking, to feel like the world is on the palm of my hand. I was not acting. I truly felt free. But my liberation was quick to fade, when the adventures ended and I was back home. I saw myself pulling back again. Back to my shell. 

Thinking back to my travels, I told my friend once: ‘I wish I could be here as I was while traveling’. I longed for the liberation what it gave me, but who I couldn’t see myself be in ordinary life. So I booked new tickets and went again, till I learned something. The rush of happiness didn't come from the beautiful places I went to, nor the amazing food I tasted. Not from the source outside. It came from a place where I was exactly myself- free. Where I didn't care to worry about how others might perceive me. I built my confidence from there, thrived to sustain my hype. And as you discover the true source of happiness is the liberty to be the truest self, you end up feeling invincible.

It takes work to sustain this feeling. But it starts with your thoughts.
It’s what you choose to tell yourself every day.


Love,
Mariliis



0 comments